Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2008:
Re: One way back-up of imap server

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: One way back-up of imap server
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:44:01 -0800

I'm no expert, but...

Someone asked about this recently, and I'm fairly certain the answer was
ultimately "no, that's not possible" -- it always does a two-way sync.

The thread started on 2007-11-28 and ended on the 30th, subject
line "OfflineIMAP for backups"

The concern in the previous thread was with deleting messages from the
server when they are accidentally deleted from the local machine. Since
your concern is for the reverse, it might be even easier to deal with
it ... just write a little script to hardlink all the mail to another
directory before syncing.

~David.

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 8:04 am, rmanwah@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is there any way to configure OfflineIMAP to backup a remote imap
server by only retrieving mail to the local account but not deleting
mail in the local account if the remote copy is deleted? I would like
to have such a set-up as a back-up to an imap account which is accessed
by a group of people and accidental deletion of mail is frequent.