Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: December 2007:
IDs map to different messages on both ends? Re: OfflineIMAP 5.99.4 rele

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDs map to different messages on both ends? Re: OfflineIMAP 5.99.4 released
From: Zak Smith <zak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:28:59 -0700

Hi,

I just witnessed some really strange behavior.  Here's the setup.

Server. Linux running courier-imapd.  Mailboxes in maildir format.
Local client is mutt.

Client machine. Linux running 5.99.2 (at the time).  I had a remote
ssh session open to the server with mutt open on both.

just after a sync:

client: messages 1 through N displayed in mutt.  Say message "N" is identified
by
subject "XX".

server: messages 1 through N-1 all the same. no message "N".

server: another message arrives here, identify with subject YY.

So we have 1 through (N-1) the same on both, but message in position N
is now "YY" on the server but "XX" on client.

Running offlineimap again has zero effects.

I delete message "N" (subject XX) in mutt on the client and sync with
offlineimap.

Message "N" on the server is deleted ("YY")-- both messages are deleted.  But
I never asked to delete message "YY", and "XX" either was never
propagated to the server, or more likely, somehow "missed" getting
deleted on the client when it was deleted on the server.

Any ideas guys??!!  I've run offlineimap for over a year on this setup
and haven't see this kind of mailbox corruption problem until very
recently.

I did just upgrade to 5.99.4, but since I don't know how to reproduce
the problem to test it.

thanks
Zak

--