Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2007:
Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mailtags discussion list <mailtags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?
From: martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:29:19 +0200

also sprach Jan Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx> [2007.09.04.2043 +0200]:
> The problems are with unclear semantics for whether the keywords
> should stop being listed if they are no longer used on any message
> and their limited number caused by lack of matching feature in
> maildir.
and that they're stored per-folder. Not sure of the implications,
but I'd have assumed per-account or per-message to make way more
sense. But I guess it depends on how you do things and how pedantic
you are. Two folders may both have the same 'foo' keyword and in
IMAP terms, those are then identical.

> > Storing them in filenames might be possible. Offlineimap already
> > stores metadata in those, but storing utf-7-encoded tags in there
> > might just make file names grow too long.
>
> Dovecot seems to (I didn't test it, but judging from the description) store

It stores the first 26 flags in the filename according to the
Maildir standard.

OfflineIMAP actually does something else and produces files like:

  1187228464_0.15933.piper,U=70571,FMD5=af1cd994dfcb9286c394d142687ff5a0:2,S

so it stores fields like U(IDL) and file MD5 in the filename for
faster operation. I just think storing tags there will make
unbearably long filenames and cause other problems.

> I believe changing xattr would change ctime just as any other attribute
> change of the attribute, which should be enough for synchronization.

Except then a script restoring permissions on a shared Maildir would
basically cause billions of conflicts whenever users change tags
offline.

"in a country where the sole employer is the state, opposition means
 death by slow starvation. the old principle: who does not work shall
 not eat, has been replaced by a new one: who does not obey shall not
 eat."
                                                 -- leon trotsky, 1937

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

-- File: digital_signature_gpg.asc