Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2007:
Synchronization Issue (Folders not deleted)

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Synchronization Issue (Folders not deleted)
From: Bernhard Egger <bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:19:41 +0900

Hi,

I'm using offlineimap to backup my mails on a courier IMAP server. It works
nicely, although it took about 4 days with 100% CPU and >400MB of RAM to
download my Junk folder.
(insanely large, ~300K messages...I know, but still. The first 100K or so
messages download reasonably fast, but then it gets slower and slower. At the
end, only about 1 message per 3 seconds is downloaded. With 400MB of RAM one
would assume that the necessary data structures are all in memory and thus
accessed/traversed quickly).

Anyways, I had some leftovers from the old mbox-based server in the directory
structure. I had compressed some mboxes to save some space, and the
mbox->maildir conversion tool created a folder for each of them, e.g.,
~/.maildir/.Archive.Sent.0304_bz
~/.maildir/.Archive.Sent.0305_bz
~/.maildir/.Archive.Sent.0306_bz

etc, each with its typical maildir folder structure (cur, new, tmp, etc).

After synchronizing with offlineimap, I have deleted those folders from the
server and synchronized again, yet the local folders were not deleted. I had to
delete the local folders manually, but even now I still find the entries in
~/.offlineimap/Repository-mail_remote/FolderValidity/ and
~/.offlineimap/Repository-mail_local/FolderValidity/

The server version is courier-imap 4.0.6, offlineimap is 4.0.11 (Rev 592). Here
are the relevant settings from ~/.offlineimaprc

[Account mail]
localrepository = mail_local
remoterepository = mail_remote

[Repository mail_local]
type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/.mail/mail
sep = .

[Repository mail_remote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.somedomain.somewhere
ssl = yes
remoteuser = someuser

maxconnections = 1
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername not in ['INBOX.Trash',
'INBOX.Archive.Junk']

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks,
Barnoid