Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2007:
Re: Debugging sync logic

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Debugging sync logic
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:10:12 -0500

On Thu August 16 2007 1:01:01 pm Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> I notice that offlineimap gives me some duplicate emails between a remote
> Dovecot 1.0 and a local Maildir spool.  I want to debug this - are there
> any suggestions?  I get even more duplicates doing IMAP<->IMAP syncing.

Run with -d imap and follow the UIDs.  See where they come from and where
they go.

> Also, where is the core sync logic held?  I found the code a little
> confusingly-organized.  (If there's a DeveloperDocumentation page e.g. on
> the wiki, excuse my failure to find it and just slap me the URL.)

There are a few places.  offlineimap/folder/Base.py is probably what you
want, but also look at offlineimap/accounts.py

> I was thinking of adding some assertions inside the code, or maybe running
> offlineimap in an environment like this:
>
> 1. Perform random changes on the Maildir and the IMAP spool
> 2. Synchronize
> 3. Verify that it didn't create any duplicate messages.
> 4. GOTO 1

I would greatly appreciate the debugging help.  I've heard from 2 people now
that something seems to have changed with the newer version that causes this
problem, but I have yet to be able to duplicate it, and I can't figure out
what changed that would impact this, either.