Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: Problems with large "mailboxes"?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Raffi Khatchadourian <khatchad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with large "mailboxes"?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:23:15 -0500

On Friday 06 July 2007 5:24:03 pm Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
> While I'm on the fixing problems kick :) I thought I would discuss a
> problem I have been having with offlineimap. My primary mail account is
> housed on my UNIX home directory on the primary school server. This
> account is not only for mail, it is a general purpose account which
> happens to also be a mail account. The problem that I am having is that
> offlineimap tries to search the entire account for mail folders, which
> are quite minimal compared to the other files in my home directory. As

Sounds like your server is uw-imapd, which is known to exhibit this
atrociously broken (IMHO) behavior.  See this hint from offlineimap(1):

       Some users with a UW-IMAPD server need to use
OfflineIMAP's "reference"
       feature  to  get at their mailboxes, specifying a reference
of "~/Mail"
       or "#mh/" depending on the configuration.  The below configuration
from
       (originally  from  docwhat@xxxxxxxx) shows using a reference of Mail,
       nametrans that strips the leading Mail/ off incoming folder names,
and
       a folderfilter that limits the folders synced to just three.

       [Account Gerf]
       localrepository = GerfLocal
       remoterepository = GerfRemote

       [Repository GerfLocal]
       type = Maildir
       localfolders = ~/Mail

       [Repository GerfRemote]
       type = IMAP
       remotehost = gerf.org
       ssl = yes
       remoteuser = docwhat
       reference = Mail
       # Trims off the preceeding Mail on all the folder names.
       nametrans = lambda foldername: \
                   re.sub('^Mail/', '', foldername)
       # Yeah, you have to mention the Mail dir, even though it
       # would seem intuitive that reference would trim it.
       folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername in [
             'Mail/INBOX',
             'Mail/list/zaurus-general',
             'Mail/list/zaurus-dev',
             ]