Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2007:
wishlist: offlineimap doesn't delete my mail when I rm -r *

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: wishlist: offlineimap doesn't delete my mail when I rm -r *
From: "Ethan Glasser-Camp" <ethan.glasser.camp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:44:28 -0400

Hi,
I was playing with offlineimap to see if it would be useful for archiving my
email. I set up offlineimap and let it sit for a minute or so before
determining that it was taking too long to sync and I would rather not use
it. I closed the status window and (in another window) did an "rm -r *" in
the directory where offlineimap was syncing to. offlineimap decided this
meant that it should delete my emails, of which it got 6 before deciding to
finally shut down.

There's more along this line, but you probably got the idea by now.
offlineimap deleted my email the way the man page says it would when I
deleted the local folders. However, I feel that offlineimap could display
more intelligence here. Namely, if a folder that offlineimap is syncing to
disappears suddenly, this is different from all the messages in that folder
disappearing. A folder disappearing almost certainly signals something
abnormal happening. I think the correct behavior is to just freak out and
abort, but I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement.

Thanks for your time.

Ethan