Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2007:
Re: offlineimap and traffic usage.

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: offlineimap and traffic usage.
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:19:17 -0400

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:22:45AM +1000, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> It would be pretty neat to have this split within offlineimap itself, with
> the mailboxes tagged as 'quiet' being synced at longer intervals than the
> 'noisy' mailboxes.  This would require offlineimap keeping more state data
> than it already does.

What I've been planning to do since I started using offlineimap is to
do two kinds of syncs.  Basically, you only need the complete set of
FETCH responses if you want to detect flag changes.  Other changes to
a message will change its UID, and adding a new message will give it a
new UID - you can detect both of these using just SELECT.  It
shouldn't be much work at all, but I never found the time.

It would probably simplify work for CONDSTORE too.

A very interesting alternative is mswatch...
  http://mswatch.sourceforge.net/dist/README

I'm fond of offlineimap, so I'd rather not switch, but it might be
nice to set up mswatch to trigger it instead of mbsync.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery