Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2004:
IMAP + procmail + offlineimap

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IMAP + procmail + offlineimap
From: Nikolai Weibull <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:37:12 +0200

Hi!

Currently, I have a mailing address that takes 16 mb of mail.  I've been
thinking of upgrading this to a 600 mb account that would allow me to
store basically all my mail on the server instead of pulling it to my
local machine every so often.  Now, the problem is that I've become very
accustomed to my mail passing through procmail, not only for delivery,
but also for rewriting.  The pipeline goes something like

mail->fastmail.fm->INBOX->fetchmail->postfix->procmail->~/.maildir

and then I can happily read it with mutt.  fastmail.fm is my email
service provider.

Fastmail.fm provides Seive support on their servers, so I could achieve
basically the same filtering into correct sub-folders (for mailing lists
and so on), but not rewriting (such as clean up of various headers) and
piping messages on boring mailing list threads to /dev/null (I keep a
msgid cache for that).

Anyway, I've tried to come up with a solution where my mail pipeline
would achive the same end result, but that the result after all the
procmail rules and so on would be reflected back to the mail on the
fastmail.fm account:

mail->fastmail.fm->INBOX->fetchmail->postfix->procmail->~/.maildir->
offlineimap

However, I haven't come up with a solution to this?  Someone suggested
that I use Sieve to place incoming mail into a separate spool folder on
fastmail.fm (not simply INBOX) and tell fetchmail to only pull mail from
that folder and so to only process the new mail through procmail and so
on and then reflect the changes back with offlineimap.

This is fine, but my favorite solution is if mail was delivered to the
correct folder immidiately on the server, then pulled and cleaned up.
This would obviously not work very well with fetchmail (what if you
viewed the new mail on the server side, then fetchmail wouldn't pull
it).

So, a solution I thought could work but haven't been able to figure out
how to do is if the pipeline was altered to

mail->fastmail.fm->Sieve-><FOLDER>->offlineimap-><FILTER>->~/.maildir

Here, <FILTER> would be some program that offlineimap would instantiate
and feed the incoming mail to before storing it locally.  <FILTER> would
be allowed to alter the mail however it wishes and offlineimap would use
its output as the mail to store locally.  It would also update any
changes remotely, if necessary.

So, to conclude, would this be possible to implement, or is it already
possible and I've just missed out on how to do it?
        nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::