Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2003:
offlineimap imap<->imap reliability?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: offlineimap imap<->imap reliability?
From: James Leifer <James.Leifer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:04:40 +0200

Greetings,

I'm looking for a good way of syncing my email on both my main machine
and my often-disconnected laptop.  Offlineimap in IMAP<->IMAP mode,
plus courier or dovecote running on each machine looks very tempting.
(For all my other files, I use unison, which I love.)

I had a bunch of questions about offlineimap's reliability:

* Have people used it successfully for IMAP<->IMAP synchronization
  between instances of Courier?  Dovecot?  If so, which versions?

* How robustly does offlineimap behave when it dies or is killed in
  the middle of a sync?  Does it leave its state files in a consistent
  state?

* ditto, if one (or both) of the IMAP servers dies or is killed?

* ditto, if one (or both) of the connections dies or is killed?

* What happens if the state of either IMAP server changes during the
  course of the sync, e.g. messages are added or deleted, flags are
  changed?  Do flags or messages get lost?

* What happens if ``conflicts'' arise, i.e. each replica has different
  flags modified for a particular message since the last sync?

* Does offlineimap sync user-defined flags (so-called IMAP keywords)?
  How are conflicts resolved?

Well, that's a lot of questions for one message...  Any comments would be
gratefully received.

Cheers,
--
James J. Leifer