Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2003:
Newbie questions

To: <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Newbie questions
From: "Randy Orrison" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:42:54 -0000 (GMT)

I'm currently using fetchmail to download email to my debian box at home,
and exim to deliver it to my few users (each has a separate account the
ISP server).  On my debian box I run courier IMAP and SquirrelMail (which
my users use to read their mail, I use mutt and SquirrelMail).  My ISP's
mail server from which I download email also supports IMAP, and I'd like
to be able to mirror my email folders from home to the ISP server (just
for my account).  So... my questions:

I've tried to configure offlineimap to use the same folders as my local
Courier IMAP server, but couldn't get it to work.  I have folders that
look like this:
  ~/Maildir (my inbox)
  ~/Maildir/.MailingLists.debian-user
  ~/Maildir/.Trash
etc.
Using the sample .conf file, I got
  ~/Maildir/INBOX
  ~/Maildir/INBOX.MailingLists.debian-user
  ~/Maildir/INBOX.Trash
so I used the following line from the example:
  nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub('^INBOX.', '', foldername)
but then I ended up with
  ~/Maildir/INBOX
  ~/Maildir/MailingLists.debian-user
  ~/Maildir/Trash
so I changed it to not remove the '.' in front of the names:
  nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub('^INBOX', '', foldername)
and got ... nothing!  Well, offlineimap connected to the server and told
me about the folders it found, but it didn't copy a single message.  (I'm
at work at present, so I can't give the exact output.)  Why didn't it do
anything?

Second question: I have a lot of existing mail in my Maildir folders at
home; will offlineimap copy it up to the IMAP server?  (So far, I've only
tested with an empty local directory.)

Third question: I also have another email account which I can only access
with POP3, and is delivered into my Maildir by exim.  Will offlineimap
pick up those new messages and sync them up to my ISP's IMAP server?

Thanks!

Randy Orrison