Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2003:
Re: cygwin?

To: Martin Domeij <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: cygwin?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:05:48 -0600

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:13:04AM +0100, Martin Domeij wrote:

> Is this list live? I tried to subscribe to it but got no answer.

Yes.

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done anything with offlineimap on
> cygwin? I would like to, but with the error messages I get when I try I
> can't tell if there's even a chance. Seems like some problem with file
> naming, but I'm not sure.

The problem is that the Maildir specification mandates the use of a colon in
filenames, which appears to be an invalid character on Windows.  I'm working
with another person who is using cygwin to find a solution, and it looks
like we'll be able to fix this by changing the colon to a different
character on Windows.

However, be aware that this will require all other Maildir-using apps to
understand and follow the same conventions.  To my knowledge, there are no
other apps for Windows that properly support Maildir, though you may be
seeing some patches appearing before too long.

-- John