Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: November 2002:
Re: mark it for deletion

To: Rolf Eric <re@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mark it for deletion
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:41:19 -0600

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:21:56AM +0000, Rolf Eric wrote:

> account. OfflineIMAP each time it connects for syncronisation it
> interperter emails marked for deletion as an email to remove totaly form
> locale as well as for the IMAP account connected to. Can't say what I

Well, to be sure, it does that only for folders in which messages were
deleted locally.

> But what do the IMAP standard say about this phenomena? I suppose if the

The IMAP standard does not address this; it's a client-side implementation
detail.

I chose to use expunging automatically because without it, OfflineIMAP would
be unsuitable as the sole IMAP client for a mailbox.  Users would be
*forced* to use another IMAP client periodically to clean out the vast
volumes of deleted but unexpunged mail.

> expunge function is there independent from flaging emails, why not make
> it up the users to deside when to execute the expunge command. This
> could be a new option in OfflineIMAPs config file that a account is set
> for automatic deletion as now or allow the deletion flag to remain in
> both locale and IMAP account.

I have added an option to offlineimap.conf called expunge.  When the next
version of OfflineIMAP is released, you will be able to specify that as you
like.

> Then again I want to point out that this behavoir could once again be
> caused by my IMAP server I'm connecting to. Is my picture right or
> false?

It is not an IMAP server thing; it's OfflineIMAP doing it.