Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2002:
Re: interesting, but...

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Neal D. Becker" <nbecker@xxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: interesting, but...
From: Corey Schuhen <corey_schuhen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:19:39 +1000

Hello,

Just my 2c worth... and thats an aussie 2c..

I intend to use offlineIMAP with Kmail also. As I see it there are two wa=
ys to=20
configure Maildir folders in kmail. One is to use the maildir folder as o=
ne=20
of kmails folders, to do this you need to create a new folder in kmail or=
=20
make sure an existing folder is in maildir format (right-click->propertie=
s)=20
b.t.w. you can not change the format of the default folders i.e. inbox,=20
trash, sent... The problem with this way is that a running kmail may not =

realise that offlineimap has put new mails in as this is not how it likes=
=20to=20
work. Once this is done you must configure offlineimap to sync with this =

maildir folder.

The other way is to set up your already synched maildir folders as a mail=
=20
source (i.e. Settings->configure.kmail->network->receiving) I think that =
this=20
must be how you did it. In this case kmail will delete all mail that is i=
n=20
that maildir folder as it copies it to its own inbox. Unfortunately there=
=20is=20
no don't delete messages option. So I think that the problem you are havi=
ng=20
is with kmail itself and not offlineimap. Once I get my offlineimap worki=
ng=20
(It don't like my notes server, John is helping here) I might have more=20
information on how to best make this work with kmail.

Hope that all made sense.

Corey

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 06:31 am, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 04:15:32PM -0400, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> > I have mail on my ISP's imap server.  I want to be able to read from
> > work or home.  Right now, I run fetchmail at work from cron, so while=

> This sounds like a perfect situation for OfflineIMAP.
>
> > Then I run offlineimap again, and I see it deleted all the mails on
> > the server.  Problem is, I didn't actually read them yet.
>
> This should NOT happen.  In fact, I've never seen it do this before, ev=
er.
> Please try running with:
>
> offlineimap -d imap,maildir -1 -o
>
> and mail me the output for a time when it deletes those mails.
>
> Are you sure that you didn't delete the mails in any way?
>
> > So, is this problem solvable?  I guess offlineimap has no way to know=

> > if I actually _read_ the articles, only that my MUA grabbed them,
> > right?
>
> Well, it doesn't really care if you've read them or not.  But it does k=
now.
> Your mail reader will set a "read" flag.  Normally, though, OfflineIMAP=

> will not delete a message from your IMAP server until you delete the
> message in your client MUA.  That is, it synchronizes flags and deletes=
.=20
> It should never delete a message that you have not explicitly deleted
> somewhere.
>
> -- John

--=20
Corey Schuhen,
Software Engineer,
B Eng ME (Hons), B InfTech

BEELINE Technologies R&D
305 Montague Road,
West End 4101
Ph:     07 3004 6716

#########################################################################=
############
Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confiden=
tial,
proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or pri=
vilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in=
=20error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destr=
oy any
hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indir=
ectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you=
=20are not
the intended recipient. BEELINE Technologies and any of its subsidiaries =
each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, e=
xcept where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them t=
o be the
views of any such entity.

Thank You.
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx