Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2002:
Re: rev 164 - in offlineimap/head: . debian offlineimap

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rev 164 - in offlineimap/head: . debian offlineimap
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:04:07 -0500

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:57:00PM -0400, Martijn Pieters wrote:

> Yow. Why not just *set* -1 when -P is detected? That is the usual
> convention; "When using this option, the -1 option is assumed".

I thought about that, but I figured:

1. I don't want people to be using -P by accident.  It could cause some
harm.  Ie, if you run:

offlineimap -P -o

the program will create a directory named -o and fill it with Python profile
info.  Probably not a great idea, especially for Unix newbies that will have
a tough time figuring out how to remove a file named "-o" :-)

2. I want to operate on the "principle of least surprise" and not do things
that the user didn't ask for.  In the future, the requirement of using -1
with -P may well disappear (it's not any hard and fast requirement really --
it makes results more accurate), so then we have the mess of either changing
the meaning of -P to no longer imply -1, or of inverting the meaning of -1
to actually enable threads when -P is used.  Either way, not a great
outcome.

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>    GPG: 0x8A1D9A1F    www.complete.org