Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2006:
[linux-help] Re: External DVD/CD writer

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: External DVD/CD writer
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 01:02:47 -0500

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 12:11 -0700, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> I've got Fed5 on an older Thinkpad. I'm using a PC
> card for 2.0 USB. Would an eternal DVD/CD work without
> the Widoze software--be recognized and all?

Yes, the drive will usually be seen as long as the usb controller is
properly configured.  Can you use a usb flash drive on the pc card?  If
so then the DVD/CD should also be seen.

You will have to access it with the name assigned when you connect it.
Something such as /dev/sda would be what I would expect to be seen..
Once you are sure it is seen then the linux software such as k3b, etc.
can use the drive.

To find out if it is seen without doing anything more than connecting it
you can use dmesg, or a tail on /var/log/messages to see what is
recognized and configured when you plug it into the pc card.

Jeff