Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2005:
[linux-help] sata disk slow to respond

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] sata disk slow to respond
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:54:36 -0600

I'm building a system. Can boot linux (Knoppix 3.8 or Ubuntu 5.10)
from live disc, but cannot install (Ubuntu 5.10). System has:

   ASUS K8N-E motherboard, AMD 64 3400+ CPU
   Seagate 250GB SATA disk, connected to SATA1
   CD/DVD writer set as IDE1 master

BIOS set to defaults:

   Silicon Image Mode: RAID Mode
   Internal SATA IDE Interface: Enabled
   RAID Option ROM: Disabled

I've tried other variations of these (e.g., SATA Mode), but they don't
seem to make any difference. BIOS RAID utility complains "no devices
configured".

Relevant messages from ubuntu live session dmesg:

   ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x9F0 ctl 0xBF2 bmdma 0xC800 irq 22
   ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x970 ctl 0xB72 bmdma 0xC808 irq 22
   ata1 is slow to respond, please be patient
   ata1 failed to respond (30 secs)
   scsi0 : sata_nv
   ata2: no device found (phy stat 00000000)
   scsi1 : sata_nv

Also tests ata3-ata6, UDMA/100, no device found

First time I tried installing the partition table hung at 66% complete;
second time 33% complete; since then it's been wedged, does not reflect
well on ubuntu installer.

First time I've ever tried building/installing with a SATA drive, so
I'm confused what the device name is, etc. Drive is new, could be bad,
but it powers up, is warm, etc. Any ideas?

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * http://tomhull.com/ * http://notesoneverydaylife.com/