Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2005:
[linux-help] Re: Very slow sendmail startup

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Very slow sendmail startup
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:13:56 -0500

On Sunday 15 May 2005 20:39, Carl D Cravens wrote:
> > Even six minutes for a laptop to boot up is too much.  Does anyone
> > have any ideas?
>
> Delays here could be caused by slow DNS lookups... I believe sendmail
> defaults to looking at the IP address of the primary network interface,
> then doing a reverse-DNS lookup to find all the domains that sendmail
> might have to handle mail for.  It may do other DNS lookups at startup
> as well.
>
> If there is some kind of delay in the DNS lookup, the timeouts in
> sendmail are rather lengthy, with each retry getting longer and longer
> before it gives up.  So make sure your DNS is working properly.

There are lots of things about the bootup I don't understand.  Since the
firewall is always on and connected to the ISP, there shouldn't be an
unusual delay, should there?  After things get started everything seems to
be operating properly.

Since the laptop has wireless, is it possible it is trying to connect that
way instead of with the ethernet cable?  If so, it is strange that it
indicates [ OK ] for sendmail and SM-client when it finally gets done.

I don't know if it is pertinent, but just before the attempt at starting
sendmail, "Synchronizing with time server" always fails after one minute.
This is followed immediately by "Starting NTPD" which always gets [ OK ].
bruce