Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2004:
[linux-help] PPP problem/question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] PPP problem/question
From: Jasper <ea6825@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:53:10 -0500

I have been compiling a kernel configuration that meets my needs but I
find that no matter what kernel source version that I use, the compiled
result has a PPP daemon that will not communicate with the world.  The
funny thing is that the pre compiled kernels in the Debian distribution
all have a PPPD that connects and resolves URLs.  This forces me to have
to boot different kernel images depending on what I need to use the
system for at the time.

I've look on the WWW for similar reports and I'm not the only one with
this experience.  It is difficult to trace the problem report to a
problem resolution.  I'm convinced that I do not have any kind of a PPPD
configuration problem due to the fact that I have proper PPP function
when I boot the pre compiled kernel image. I look at my logs and see a
connection without errors. I have noticed that when I connect using an
actual IP address instead of a domain name I get a reply that the
connection is refused.  This makes me wonder about a firewall issue. Hmmm.

Also, I have just installed Kylix3 on my Debian system and, as you will
guess, it does not work properly.  Unfortunately, the documentation says
that Borland does not support Debian installations. (They say they
support Redhat, Mandrake and SuSe.) However, they offer a system test
script that will verify if your system has a friendly environment for
proper installation (and I do). I find that when I try to start it under
KDE that it will not start and does not give errors.  I can start it in
using an Xterm window with their 'startbcb' script.  When it starts it
slings a boat load of errors saying that various 'packages' will not
start.  After the script completes, the Kylix3 IDE main window displays.
  When you attempt to do something on it, however, it segfaults and just
vanishes from the screen.

I used to work for a guy with a philosophy that we did not have problems
but only opportunities.  I have a few opportunities.

--
Respectfully,
Edward Adkins