Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: technical comparison between linux and windows

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: technical comparison between linux and windows
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:12:28 -0500

> * Haridas, Hareesh (Cognizant) <Hareesh.Haridas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003
Oct 20 16:29 -0500]:
> > hi all,
> >
> > Please do let me know if there are any good papers/links available
comparing linux and windows technically and
> > listing out the advantages and disadvantages of both.
>
> Technically, Linux is free and does not lock in your data.  Widnows is
> proprietary and causes your data to be a hostage to one company.
>
> There are no other serious reasons to consider one against the other.

That's hardly true...

There are many other reasons you might consider using one or the other.  For
instance...

* Availability of application(s) you need on one platform or the other.
* Hardware you're using.  Some hardware won't work with Windows, some won't
work with Linux.
* Intended users.  In some cases, the user(s) may require Windows, or may
require Linux.
* Support Services.  In some cases, a person may choose one OS over the
other because of the available support they have for that OS.

From a _technical_ standpoint, Linux is superior to Windows in almost every
respect.  (I'd recommend a google search to find detailed papers or
explanations on this).

Windows is sometimes better than Linux for practical reasons, though.  For
instance, QuickBooks (or some other application you HAVE to use) may not
work in Linux.  There's no _technical_ reason QuickBooks wouldn't work on
Linux, except that Intuit didn't write it that way.  So technically, Linux
is not inferior, but practically it may be.

-- Jonathan