Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2003:
[linux-help] Scroll mouse only knows down

To: ACLUG Linux help <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Scroll mouse only knows down
From: Ryan Claycamp <ryanc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:16:38 -0400

I purchased a cheap GE/Jasco optical scroll mouse last night. It works
fine except for the scroll wheel; I can only scroll down. After a
search on Google Groups I discovered the xev program. It reports that
either way I move the wheel is an event for button 5.

I've changed the protocol under X to different ones, I started with
ImPS/2. Sometimes xev only sees three buttons but if it sees the wheel
both directions are button 5. Is there anything I can can do? Should I
just return the mouse? If so, do I replace it or spend a little extra
money to get a Logitech or even Microsoft? I've heard that Microsoft
at least makes good hardware.

I'm in Dayton now. Tomorrow I'm going to my first DLUG meeting.

Ryan
--
If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed ... oh, wait
a minute -- he already does.