Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2003:
[linux-help] private network domain names

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] private network domain names
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:04:01 -0500

If I want to set up a private network I know I can use an address
reserved for such purposes, e.g. 192.168.1/24. However, is there
any standard or convention for deciding what domain name to use
for that network?

Obviously, the domain name does not need to be registered or
externally resolved, but all sorts of local software (e.g., mail
software) assumes or demands that you have a domain name. And
obviously the domain name, like the network address, must be
something that you will never want to resolve into an external
address. So it would make sense to reserve, say, a top level
domain for private networks, but I've never seen anything that
makes such a reservation. E.g., RFC 1918 says nothing about
domain names.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/