Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2003:
[linux-help] Page redirect?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Page redirect?
From: Olwë Melwasúl <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:19:18 -0600

I'm trying to do a Web site for some people who are locked into a
"contract" with an overpriced Web hoster. The host offers practically
nothing other than ftping your files up. They even charge $3./mo. to
have email forwarding. Their server (MS/IIS?) also messes up the mime
when sending a .css file. Mozilla doesn't respond to "text" when it is
expecting "css", although IE doesn't panic, but I have to embed all css
in the actual files, which is a pain for updating. They basically get
business on the newbie myth that hosting has to be local. As if you
might need to hand-carry something over to them some day...Okay, I hate
them.

Anyway, I'd like a seamless way to move the entire site to my other Web
hosters and just redirect a page request from bad host to good host. (My
freinds aren't cool with moving the domain name until the "contract"
runs out.) I used to know about an html way to redirect, but can it be
really fast so people don't notice so much? Or is there some other idea
y'all know about?

--
Olwë Melwasúl
        Wood-elf, Emissary to the Northern Ents