Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Emacs and HTML

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Emacs and HTML
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:30:02 -0600

Lars von dem Ast wrote:
> Does anyone use Emacs for HTML markup?

Sure. Why would anyone use anything else?

 > I understand there is a mode
> "html-helper-mode.el" There is also a css.el floating around. Does
> anyone have any experience with these? Are they still "latest and
> greatest" way to do HTML/CSS on Linux? If not, what is? Any
> info/experiences with HTML markup appreciated.

There's an HTML major mode, which gets invoked automatically on .html
files (probably others as well). When working under X it adds a menu
button with a few helper codes, also bound to keystrokes. With this
C-c <RETURN> will insert "<p>\n" for you, which may or may not be a
help. There are similar commands for various other HTML markup; e.g.
C-c C-c h will set up a link, where it asks you for the URL on the
entry line, adds the closing tag, and positions the cursor between
the two tags. Again, as a help that's a tradeoff between having to
learn a code (or pluck something off a menu) and doing a small amount
of extra typing yourself.

The main reason I can't say more about it is that even though I've
edited hundreds of HTML files in emacs, I've never really noticed
the major mode (unlike, e.g., the C major mode, which indents for
you whether you like it or not).

Don't know about CSS -- when I edit a .css file I'm in Fundamental
major mode.

I will say that I think PHP mode is a crock -- basically, it's just
not smart enough to keep track of when you're really doing PHP and
when you're doing HTML, so sometimes you'll find it doing indenting
where it shouldn't, etc.

I fixed this latter problem by commenting out all of the lines in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/