Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: high speed internet and eth0 questions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: high speed internet and eth0 questions
From: flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:11:38 -0600 (CST)

> I just installed RH7.1 and was on Cox high speed internet for about 3
> days.  Now i cannot get the computer to connect back to the internet.
> I have some questions.
>
> What should the command line look like when you are connected to cox
> internet?

Probably the same as when you're connected to any other ISP, or not
connected at all.
Although it may be possible to make it change with the status of your
Internet connection, I've never heard of it doing that as a default.  And
I can't personally think of any good way to make that happen anyway...

> What configurations should i have under Network Configuraiton?

That's an incredibly vague question... so I'll give the best answer I can.
 You should be using DHCP.

> Why would the internet work for a couple of days and then not work all
> of a sudden?

I'll answer that when you tell me why my car makes a noise today, but last
week it didn't.  :)

> Why does my command line look like root@ip(ip address
> here).ks.ok.cox.net when my e-mail address for cox is
> goldenllama@xxxxxxx?

Why does your prompt look like that?  I don't know.  Why is that your
hostname?  Because you're probably being fed your IP from one of the
"Oklahoma-based" IP pools--that's pretty much irrelevant.

> When i open a .gz file and click on the install or
> the setup icons it just comes up with a window that says "No action
> taken"?

What's the question?

> I open up GnomeRPM and try to find a RPM i just downloaded but
> it is no where to be found...i have been told that you install RPMs
> this way.

There are many ways to install RPMs.  If that method doesn't work, there
are probably dozens of possible reasons, and it's impossible to diagnose
without more information.  Furthermore, I'm probably not the person to
diagnose that issue, since I don't use Red Hat personally.