Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Oracle installation

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Oracle installation
From: rohrer aaron l <alrohrer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:38:13 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,
        I'm going to attempt to install Oracle 9i Database, and Oracle 9i
Application Server (plus JDeveloper, etc.) on my Linux machine for a
class. I am in the process of reading manuals, etc., trying to prepare for
this task, but of course it is difficult to find information about my
specific hardware/OS/Oracle version combination.
        I'm hoping to use my current distro (Mandrake 7.1) on my home
machine (a 700Mhz Duron, 256MB RAM, approx. 5 GB hard drive space
available). I am open to using a different distro if necessary. I can even
buy a relatively cheap laptop meeting the minimum specs and use it only
for the Oracle software if necessary.
        Anyone have any general tips/hints/suggestions/warnings before I
dive in? I've already got the 9i release 2 database on three CDs burned by
my instructor. The rest of the class is using the 8i database (version
8.1.7) with the 9i AS (not sure why he gave me the 9i database instead of
8.1.7).
        I'm not looking for complete instructions, just any friendly
suggestions or online documentation, howtos etc., that you might point me
toward.
        Thanks.

-Aaron