Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Saving my hard disk

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Saving my hard disk
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:34:20 -0500

With these symptoms, I suggest replacing the drive.

Linux is not more fragile, particularly if you use the ext3 filesystem
which is a journaled system and allows recovery after a power outage, in
most cases without even running the fsck. I know your version of debian
does not support ext3 so maybe you should consider upgrading the os.

The journaled filesystems can stand a power outage much better than
non-journaled because they are able to write the data that was in
transit (written to journal but not committed) when next powered up.

FAT and NTFS have the same problems when hardware fails. No filesystem
can withstand repeated loss of growing areas of the drive.

Your symptoms probably indicate a hardware failure such as a head crash.
The power outage just acted as the final straw that brought the failure
to light. The repeated failures and getting worse bodes ill for the
future unless you do replace the drive.

Recovering apps that were in the damaged areas of the drive is most
easily done by reinstall of that app after fixing the hardware problem.

Nathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My Debian (potato) Linux server/router is having some trouble after a recent
> power outage.  I can't boot normally without a check being forced.  I run
> e2fsck, but get uncorrectible errors.
>
> Slightly off-subject opinion:
> The Linux file system seems to be a little more fragile (when it comes to
> power outages) than FAT or NTFS.  If this isn't true, I'd welcome someone
> telling me why and what I might be doing wrong.
>
> I've read the man pages for e2fsck very carefully, and with my very limited
> understanding, decided to run "e2fsck -pcn -C 0".  I've done this several
> times, but I'm still getting uncorrectible errors.  Also, ProFTP isn't won't
> load any more, so I think those sectors have been damaged.  I'll need to
> figure out how to fix this as well.
>
> I'd really appreciate some help.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan