Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: How to install?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: How to install?
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:44:14 -0500

On Sunday 21 July 2002 08:05 pm, you wrote:
> I downloaded the ALSA drivers, utils, and tools. I tried to untar them,
> but it doesn't work. I read in the documentation that I needed to do
> ./configure - make - make install. How do I do this? Thanks!

The ./configure etc. won't work if the files are compressed (.tar, .bz2,
etc.).  If they are not it goes something like this.

Logged in with your user name move the files to /home/john if john is your
user name.
Type ./configure and watch the lines of text go by.  If this configures
correctly, type make and watch more lines go by.  If there are no errors, su
to root (with "su" - it will ask for the root password) and type make install.

The ./  in ./configure means execute the program in the directory where I am.
Configure does configuring and checking for dependencies, make compiles the
code and make install installs the files.

Remember you can look at pages that went by using shift-pg-up.

There are others who understand this much better than I - hopefully they will
jump in and correct me.

bruce