Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: linux programming help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: linux programming help
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:47:16 -0500

Hareesh Haridas wrote:
> hi friends,
>
> i am interested in learning how the linux system works at the core and
> am planning to learn it by doing some programming. for a start,  i would
> like to write a simple(?) program to format a floppy disk, call it
> formatter.c (i know to program in C and C only, and a bit of scripting).
>
> can anyone please help me by giving guidelines/pointers on how to go
> about this? i am ready to spent any amount of time on this, but i want
> to do this myself :)

A good place to start is:

   man 4 fd

You need to write to the raw device file. You need to understand block
sizes. You'll probably want to be able to add a label and format a file
system (there are programs to do this, like mlabel/mformat for msdos
floppies).

Of course, this has already been done -- possibly many times. Look for
fdutils (superformat):

   ftp://www.tux.org/pub/knaff/fdutils/fdutils-5.4.tar.gz

> thanks in advance,
> Hareesh.