Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2002:
[linux-help] Re: sound on Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sound on Linux
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 08:56:24 -0500

On Friday 31 May 2002 09:26 pm, you wrote:
> I am running RedHat 7.3, with soundblaster Live Value card.
>
> The audio is working, but no matter what I do it is barely loud enough
> to hear.
>
> I know I read there are some extra controls available with packages that
> can be installed to do a better job of controling the card and mixing,
> but have not yet been able to find them.
>
> Does anyone know where the best linux drivers/mixers for the
> soundblaster cards can be found

The alsa documentation mentions that alsa comes up after installation
completely muted and suggests unmuting with one of the mixers.  In RH 7.2
with KDE, the Kmenu shows Aumix and Sound Mixer (the latter puts up a mixer
labeled Kmix).  I found that increasing the volume with either Kmix or Aumix
makes great volume.

If you're just running a command line, try man aumix.
bruce