Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Re: sound on Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sound on Linux
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 23:08:47 -0500 (CDT)

Jeff,

I'm using the kernel drivers for the SBLive! and they seem to work
wonderfully...  great volume and sound...  I'm running slackware with a
custom-built kernel, but if you're using the kernel drivers, that
shouldn't make much of a difference...  i use the KDE mixer (i forget the
name), but the gmix works well, too...  the only option i wish i had was a
way to control the treble/bass like the windows drivers allow me to do...

anyway, try turning up all of the controls in gmix or the KDE mixer and
see if that makes any difference...  IIRC, there was one mixer (marked
something like digital1 in gmix) that seemed to control the same line as
the DSP control (ie: turn digital1 up and DSP down, it's quiet...  turn
DSP up and digital1 down, it's quiet... turn them both up, THEN it's
loud)...

I'm not positive, but i wouldn't be surprised if RH is using the ALSA
drivers (www.alsa-project.org) instead of the kernel drivers (Mandrake
does this, along with many newer release of other major distros), in which
case, I can't help you...  try the aformentioned ALSA site...  they have
mailing lists there which have been pretty helpful to me in the past...

good luck!
gLaNDix