Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2002:
[linux-help] Installing Red Hat 5.1

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Installing Red Hat 5.1
From: "D. Shane Robinson" <sean_orion@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:32:52 -0700 (PDT)

I am attempting to install RH 5.1 and encounter problems when the
install program looks for my hdd. It keeps telling me that there is
no valid device.

PB 486sx-25
20 MB ram
2.1 Gig at-hdd; Primary partition - 255mb, extended - 511mb, remaing
reserved for linux.
Soundblaster-Panasonic CD-Rom, which is getting detected by autoprobe

I have considered that perhaps the hdd is not configured correctly
(master/slave/or whatever) but since the jumper is not _clearly_
labeled I can not be certain. DOS sees it, but as I understand, linux
can be pickier about this. It's a quantum hdd.

Any suggestions? Can't lose the computer, it's the fastest one I have
(right now)

TIA

Shane