Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2001:
[linux-help] Re: REDHAT 7.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: REDHAT 7.2
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:12:32 -0600

Sudharsha,
I am using a SIS630 card (built in to the motherboard) and RH7.2.  What
worked for me was to capture the error messages that occur when I
started X:
touch /home/startlog
startx 2> /home/startlog

Then compare the reasons listed for not using each horizontal or
vertical frequency with what I had input.  For instance, my monitor had
vert. of 60-90 and I found an 800x600 that said "... needs 56.5 Hz
vertical ..."
So I put 56-90 instead of 60-90 in the XF86Config file and got a
beautiful KDE.

good luck, bruce

Sudharsha Wijesinghe wrote:

> HI ALL,
> I have a big problem.
> I installed redhat 7.2 and now I can't get the x right.
> The display is not clear .
> I am using a SIS6326 card and I want to know weather
> any one else has the same problem my monitor is a
> Mercury so there for I had to give it's h Sync and V sync manually.
> Hope some one can help me.
> Thanks In advance.
> Sudharsha.

Actually, it's quite difficult to persuade people
that you are bombing them for their own good.
                       ---Molly Ivins