Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2001:
[linux-help] Re: An error message on Slackware.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: An error message on Slackware.
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 22:53:40 -0600

Anthony,
I've never seen this, but in Redhat, you type "linux  1" at the lilo prompt
to get into the system as a single user.

They are telling you that  e2fsck  -v -y might be able to clear the problem.
I looked at the man page for e2fsck and it says e2fsck is a program to check
a linux second estended file system.  -v says use verbose mode (tell you what
it is doing) and -y says for the machine to  answer yes to each question.

You should be able to look at the man page after you get in as single user.

As it boots, it may say something like "hdc1 not unmounted cleanly."  This
may tell you what partition to run e2fsck on.

Or you may want to wait til someone who is familiar with this to answer.

good luck,  bruce

Anthony A Bogardus wrote:

> Hi,
>      I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux. I have two hard drives. One has
> Win98 and the other has Slackware Linux on it. I think I mistakenly
> turned off my computer without shutting down Linux. I got a message on my
> computer that said
> An error occurred during the file system check. You will now be given a
> chance to log into the system in single-user mode to fix the problem.
> Running 'e2fsck-v-y <partition> might help.
> How do I log into the system in single-user mode and what is the best
> program to run to fix the problem?
> I'm sorry if someone else has asked this question before. I don't always
> read everything that's on this list.

Actually, it's quite difficult to persuade people
that you are bombing them for their own good.
                       ---Molly Ivins