Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Two NICs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Two NICs
From: Lars von dem Ast <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:40:05 -0600

I'm trying to use two NICs (both are 3COM 3C905B-TX's) in my RH7.2. One card
(alias eth0) is set up to do DSL (I'm in Mo'ridge). The DSL is a static
address with a net mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 65.66.93.254. Now,
I'm trying to get the other card to be for my home LAN, but I fowled it up
last night. RH recognized the new card immediately and took me through a
setup procedure during boot. Then with netconf and the "Network
Configuration" system utility, I was able to assign eth1 to what I thought
was the new card. Nothing worked. Went back into netconf, etc., ripped out
all the settings for the new card, and the DSL still didn't work. On a hunch,
I swapped the rj45s in the back and I got my DSL and Internet back. So the
question is, how does one set up two cards in one Linux box, one for DSL to
the outside Internet world, and one for a home network?

Lb
--
Lb:Lars von dem Ast
"Think globally, visit local shrink."