Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Anyone else heard BSA commercials?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Anyone else heard BSA commercials?
From: Ironrose <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 21:38:55 -0600

This is why I was curious about linux when I was studying Novell and
NT.  These software companies charge a lot for the networking software.
Both Novell and NT have a way of contacting the company to tattle on
anyone who installs their software on more than one server.  It is
written in the code to connect to the internet to let the software
company know and the network goes nuts.  We tried it in the class with
10 copies of Novell.

I know that when I worked at CCH, they cracked down on us techies who
were installing our own software on our workstations.  I was repremanded
for having my own copy of Office 97 installed on my workstation.  I
didn't realize until then that the company could be held liable if
software was installed on their computers that they are unable to show a
purchased license for.  They were tipped off that the 'software police'
were in Wichita and we had to do some quick cleanup of our hard drives.
One real estate company in Wichita almost didn't survive the hefty fines
for lack of software licenses.  As M$ becomes more agressive about
licensing, more companies will be considering and wanting GPL software.
Thanks for the info Nate.