Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: portscan

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: portscan
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 01:09:36 -0600

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:08:33PM -0600, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

The other thing is that if someone finds a buffer overflow or some
other bug in the version of finger (or whatever) that you have, then
it might be possible to exploit that bug and actually get more access
to things than what the finger daemon is actually intended to do, like
a root shell... This is why it is recommended that you only have
things listening that you really need to do your work, and then make
sure that you keep up to date on any bug fixes for those "few"
services.

Steve