Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: web hosting?

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: web hosting?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:24:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Tom Hull wrote:

> Alternatively, does anyone have a good idea of what it would cost to
> set up a server and connection?

If you don't need a lot of bandwidth, DSL with static IP's can be had for
about $80 a month and the hardware isn't a big deal... the server machine
with a NIC and the DSL device is it.  And Linux will handle a moderate
traffic website on a 486/133... which I know from personal experience.

I'm running my own server (RPG mailing list server) out of my basement for
$80 plus occasional hardware expenses.  Until a few months ago, it ran
entirely on spare/obsolete hardware.  (I needed more memory and upgraded
to a PII/400 to get a MB that would take a lot of RAM.)

Of course, you'll have to know a little bit about what you're doing or
hire someone to do it for you, especially if you're going to run all your
own services like DNS and mail.  I do it for a living, so it's not a big
deal for me.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
If this were an actual tagline, it would be funny.