Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Non-root shutdown

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Non-root shutdown
From: Phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:42:20 -0500

in /etc/inittab  there is a line for rebooting the system

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
change the -r to -h
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now
alt-ctrl-del will shutdown(halt) the system

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001,
you wrote: > Is it possible for a specific non-root user to run the
> shutdown/halt/reboot commands?  I have a server at a
> friend's house that has DSL and from time to time he
> will need to power the machine off, but I don't want
> to give him full root privliges.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Curtis H.

pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Dos
http://freelists.dhs.org/lists/snafuu.html
http://pfrostie.freeservers.com/cad-tastrafy