Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Gateway

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Gateway
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:19:32 -0600

there are several steps to follow

1.  I set up the Linux server as a caching nameserver. (not required but it
makes it easier for the hosts on the private network)

2.  using ipchains
    set a default policy for forward to DENY
    set a chain for forward to masquerade anything originating on the
private network to anywhere not on the private network.

3.  In the /etc/sysctl.conf file
        set the ip_forward = 1
        set the ip_always_defrag = 1

4.  On your host(s) on the private network
    set the default gateway to the class C address on your Linux machine
    set the default nameserver to the same address

Now when you start up, the Linux server will get a default gateway,
nameservers, and IP from dhcp, and then will handle forwarding and
masquerading.

5.  for additional security you need to set tcp wrappers to deny anything
not explicitly allowed.
        I do that by adding one line to /etc/hosts.deny    " ALL:  ALL"
(which denies all services to all hosts)
        and by adding one line to /etc/hosts.allow           "ALL:
192.168.2."
            (this line explicitly allows anything within my private class c
to access the Linux services)