Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Free install

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Free install
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:21:00 -0600

If you can resize the windows partition ( and have only one drive) the
easiest way until I hear differently with Windows 2000 is to do a full
install of Linux on the area of your hard drive not used by windows (after
using fips or partition magic to get some free space on the drive)

Personally, I would recommend installing a second drive and do the Linux
install on the second drive so you don't have to mess with the Window 2000
partition.  I believe that 20G drives are about $120 or so at National
Computer.

Install the Linux OS on the available space on the drive AFTER windows is
installed, but the CRITICAL part is :
    When it asks where to install LILO, tell it the first sector of your
root partition, AND make a boot floppy.
Then when you want to boot to windows just boot from the hard drive, or use
the floppy to boot to Linux .

With Windows NT 4.0 I did this easily and then used the NT boot loader to
select a boot to Linux, but with 2000 I don't know if that works the same.

Instructions on NT 4.0 dual boot are in the Linux documentation, the mini
howtos, labeled "Linux+NT-loader"

The one thing that is different from the howto is that with the newer
releases of Linux the NTFS partition can be mounted and dd can be used to
copy the lilo sector directly from the Linux partition to the NT partition
AND the boot.ini file can be edited with vi to set up the boot loader for
Linux.