Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: bootdisk..

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: bootdisk..
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:46:10 -0600

Linux on a floppy is a generic term, so if you could be more specific as to
what you are going to use it for (xterm, netboot, really basic linux system,
hardware helper (thanks to /proc)).

I haven't tried making a tiny one, but I don't think your problem is the boot
disk, or how you put it on.
Make sure you say yes to RAMDISK support LOOPBACK support, and the last
option on the menu with ramdisk selected as yes (I am forgetting the name))
It sounds like the /dev/ entries are there but the support for them in the
kernel is not.

Hope that helps

James Lancaster

PS and if you get it to work, could you email me with how you did it, as I am
kind of interested in using ramdisks, for a linuxdistro from cd (with
everything inclued that can be, and run with no hard disk)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> hi! i am trying to prepare something like `linux on a floppy' as part of
> my informal project. i went thru the linux bootdisk howto at linuxdoc.org
> and started work. the problem is:
>
>  to create a filesystem, they suggest 3 ways - either use /dev/ram0 ar use
> a loopback device or use an empty partition to create a copy of the root
> fs and then use rdev, dd etc to put it to the floppy (this is also
> accompanied with the kernel image being placed in the boot sector). when i
> tried each of these, i got errors: the /dev/ram0 is there but it says
> device does not exist and when i try to create one too it says: entry
> already there. same with the loopback devices: loop0-7. i do not have a
> free partition too. i will create a partition and do it, but it will be
> nice if someone could tell me what the problem is or what can be done in
> the normal way.
>
> ps: dd, mount/umount all work fine.
>
> regards,
> Hareesh.

If you get multiple copies, delete them, or go fix kmail on alphas ;)