Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Re: telnet

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: telnet
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:17:24 -0600

It depends on what you mean exactly. You can run a telnet/ssh client
on your NT box and log into the the Linux box (I assume that is what
computer A is). Any text based app that you run in the telnet window
will be displayed there.

If you are talking about a graphical app that generally works on the
Linux box while in X Windows, then you will need to have an X server
installed on the NT box. There are several out there, and I don't have
any recomendations, perhaps someone else does. Once you start the X
server, then you can log in to the Linux box with the telnet/ssh
client, set the DISPLAY environment variable, see below, and then run
the X app. It should use the X server running on the NT box to render
the interface.

You would set the DISPLAY variable like this:

        export DISPLAY=host_name_of_NT_box:0.0

Yet another options would be to download and install the VNC
client/server on both NT and Linux. This product allows you to control
one computer from another. It is kind of like PC Anywhere, if you are
familiar with that, but it runs on all kinds of platforms. Go to
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ for the downloads.