Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Re: etho and eth1 resources

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: etho and eth1 resources
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:17:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Craig Terhune wrote:

> Where can you see the rescouces for these devices. I'm trying
> to install another card to eliminate the hub and linux cannot
> find eth1. Is there a mod probe command??

cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports
/sbin/ifconfig -a
dmesg | more | look for both cards being detected

The command you're referring to, modprobe, is used to install
modules. If you've compiled the network card driver as a module,
and it's not automatically loading (/etc/conf.modules) then you
may need to use it.

I believe Linux only probes for one ethernet card on boot, unless
you pass it an option on the lilo line. It's been so long since I
read what that was, and I never had to use it, that I've
forgotten, but if you check the docs/howtos for
networking/firewalling/lilo, I'm sure it's there.

-jeff
--
Here are some handy tips to help you stay cool ... in the hot summer weather:
- Avoid "hot" programming like Cinemax After Dark.