Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Dual boot when Linux already there...?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Dual boot when Linux already there...?
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:19:56 -0500

"Lrs v.d.Ast" wrote:

> I've got to have MS (2000 or 98); (snip)
>I have a second hard drive I'll install, but the Linux
> is already on the first hd and is the only OS so far.
>
> Q: Can I make my machine a dual booter without totally reinstalling? I
> would prefer Win2000, how do you dual boot 2000 and Linux? (snip)

Larry,
This reply is based on the following assumptions:
1) you don't want to mess with your Linux drive if you don't have
to...
2) the second drive you mentioned is where you plan to put
windoze...

Given the penchant of windoze to wipe out existing operating
systems, I would try this...
1) disconnect the Linux drive so windoze can't mess with it
2) jumper the second drive as master and install it.
3) install windoze on your new master drive - whatever version
you choose.
4) jumper the Linux drive as slave and reconnect it.
5) redo LILO (or whatever boot software you use) so it knows the
path to windoze and the Linux drive (now hdb, or whatever).

I've never messed with 2000, so all bets are off
--joh