Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] DHCP and DNS

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] DHCP and DNS
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:37:38 -0500

My company has a few of Linux servers (mail, file/print sharing, squid) and a number of Windows boxes. We are getting a new computer and it is getting to the point where adding a static ip is troublesome, adding the new number to all the other machines hosts file. I tried DHCP and it worked great. It was very easy to setup and everything seemed to be working great. Then our Internet connection went down and the Windows machines couldn't see the Samba servers. Do I need to use WINS and/or setup a local DNS component?

Thanks,
Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/