Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Need help with Kernel Panic Message!

To: "'linux-help@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Need help with Kernel Panic Message!
From: "gray, jason" <gray_jason@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:04:53 -0400

Hello,
I successfully installed RHAT on my Compaq Proliant 1850 system.  I
recompiled the kernel, and got the following message during boot up:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block -major- 8
errno = 2 VFS: Cannot open root device

The previos lines were the last lines during linux boot up, just seconds
after LILO began.  I know I make a mistake tweaking the kernel, but if
anyone might know what the kernel panic message means, I would be very
interested.

Thank you for your help