Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Apache/1.3.9 Server help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Apache/1.3.9 Server help
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:09:57 -0500

make sure you are accessing it as url.org/~dad
and that /home/dad and /home/dad/public_html are both world executable
(otherwise the webserver, can't change to it to server the files)

also make sure either /home/dad/public_html/index.html exists of
/home/dad/public_html/ is world readable

mjacobs wrote:

> I am trying to setup userdirs e.g. /home/xxxx/public_html access on my
> linux box.
> when ever i try to access it url.org~dad I get the Forbidden message in
> the browser.
> I can't find any more of TFM to read so If any one has an idea please
> let me know.
>
> Permissions (dir/files) are set the same as the page that does work so I
> must need to change another setting.
> thanks
> Mark
>
> BROWSER output:
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /~dad on this server.
> Apache/1.3.9 Server at hal_1.hal9280.org Port 80
>
> httpd.conf:
> #
> # UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's
> home
> # directory if a ~user request is received.
> #
> UserDir public_html
> UserDir disabled root
> UserDir enabled dad bert matt
> #
> # Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
> # for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
> #
>
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
> #    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> #    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
> #    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
> #    </Limit>
> #    <Limit PUT DELETE PATCH PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
> #        Order deny,allow
> #        Deny from all
> #    </Limit>
> </Directory>

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
As I got up in front of them, I felt an intoxication
that had nothing to do with alcohol.  It was the
intoxication of being a public spectacle.

                --Homer Simpson
                  Dancin' Homer