Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Help with GIMP

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Help with GIMP
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:37:50 -0500

If you're creating a transparant gif for a web page, for instance, and the
background is a solid color, the simplest way to do that is with transgif
(or is it called giftrans?)

Basically, you tell transgif what color should be the transparant background
(using the color index in the GIF file), and it dumps the modified gif to
stdout IIRC.

transgif -t 1 <input>.gif > <output>.gif

I think that's right... man transgif or just run it without any options and
it shows help, I think.

I usually use the eye-dropper tool (whatever it's technical name is) in GIMP
or some other graphics viewer/editor to determine the index value of the
color to make it transparant.

I believe GIMP has the ability to save directly as a transparant GIF... but
I'm not sure how, or it hasn't worked when i've tried.

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 09:01:14AM -0500, Steven Saner wrote:
> Are there any GIMP experts out there? I have an image that is
> basically a black figure on a white background. I would like to make
> it a black figure on a transparent background, but I seem to be unable
> to figure out how to do this. It seems to me that I should be able to
> say "Change the color white to the color transparent."
>
> Thanks
>
> Steven Saner
> ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tech Support: "Is there an asterisk to the left of the discount field?"
Customer: "Nope, just a 'squishy bug'." (her name for an asterisk)