Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: November 2000:
Outage -- Fixed!

Subject: Outage -- Fixed!
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Nov 2000 22:22:50 -0500

Good evening,

Almost a week ago to the hour, GTE, through their own problems, took
down the ISP that hosts the mail server for complete.org, aclug.org,
freeciv.org, and quux.org.  As a result, mailing lists, websites,
etc. were unavailable.

GTE's continued problems kept the server offline far longer than it
should have been.  For this I apologize.

Most mail should have been queued and will be delivered in the next
few hours.  A few messages may have bounced.  If yours bounced, please
resend it.

You may be interested to know that the reason it's back online now is
that the ISP was already installing a new data center with a link from
someone else and was able to accelerate those plans.  Therefore, not
only will these recent problems be a thing of the past, but also the
server is on a substantially faster connection and in a much better
location (the building is even ram-proof and will have diesel backup
generators online shortly!)

At this time, everything should be working.  If you experience
trouble, it may be because of old cached DNS information.  You may
want to wait a bit and try again.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR ACLUG.ORG READERS:
==================================
Due to circumstances beyond my control, DNS for aclug.org is taking
longer than I would like to propogate.  In the interim, you may use
these backup addresses to access aclug.org information:

website:                        http://www.complete.org/ACLUG/
announce@xxxxxxxxx:             aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
discussion@xxxxxxxxx            aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
committee@xxxxxxxxx             aclug-committee@xxxxxxxxxxxx

(The remainder don't have a backup yet.)

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com